Sunday, November 1, 2009

Annual Sanity Trip

It is only three days until the annual bed-and-breakfast trip my sister and I make for her birthday. It would be great if all the ladies from our family could go, but it always ends up being my sister and I. I look forward to this every year and consider it my "Sanity Trip".

Why do I call it this... let's see. There is the fact that it gives me two nights away from everything that normally occupies my mind. It is close enough to home that if an emergency would occur I can get back quickly. It is in an old farm house that has been converted to guest rooms with their own bathrooms. There is fresh coffee every morning with flavored liquid creamer. There is a two course breakfast that always has way too much food for me to eat, but I shove it all in. It gives me a moment to center myself. It helps me remember that I am an individual in addition to all the other things I have to morph into during any other day. It gives me time to think for myself instead of laundry, bills, my child, my husband, the dogs, work, how dirty the bathroom/living room/family room/kitchen/bedrooms are, what I should cook for breakfast, what I should cook for supper, work, work, work... and did I mention work?

Too many times I feel myself being pulled is so many different directions. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy unless my life was full of "to-do's" and "task lists". However, there comes a point in every Master Multi-Tasker's life where things have to slow down, regroup, and calm down enough for the mind to refresh itself. This trip, to me, is my Sanity Trip.

No comments: